THESE GIFS ARE FROM kyle-.tumblr.com
Considering I’ve played way too many video games and love Community, I decided to break down the list of Hilda’s topics from the brilliant Digital Estate Planning by game. This is truly a testament to the absurd amount of detail the show puts into even the smallest jokes.
frog extinction (Winky the Frog)
ostrich (Expresso the Ostrich)
other parrot (Parry the Parallel Bird)
anglerfish (Glimmer the Anglerfish)
spider (Squitter the Spider)
snake (Rattly the Rattlesnake)
parrot (Sqawks the Parrot)
swordfish (Enguarde the Swordfish)
rhino (Rambi the Rhinoceros)
These are all animal buddies in the Donkey Kong Country series. Why frog is listed as frog extinction is a bit more of a stretch, however. It could be because Winky is the only animal buddy to appear in Donky Kong Country I that doesn’t show up in the sequels (though Expresso only returns in the Gameboy Advanced version of Donkey Kong Country II).
These all deal with travelling in Super Mario Brothers 2.
magic flute (Warp Whistle)
These are ways to skip levels in various Mario games. The Star Zone refers to bonus levels.
Rash, Zitz, and Pimple are the protagonists of the infamous NES game Battletoads. The Dark Queen is the antagonist.
mechanical (Mechanical Age)
stoneship (Stoneship Age)
channel wood (Channelwood Age)
space ship (Selentic Age)
The ages in Myst.
old man trainer (The Pokemon catching tutorial in Viridian City)
fly on a bird (Use Fly)
cinnamon island (Cinnabar Island)
seal along the shore (The Surf sprite looks like Seel. Use it along the shore of Cinnabar Island)
This is how you encounter the glitch Pokemon Missingno in Pokemon Red and Blue.
Ok, I totally had to Google this one. These are all apparently hovercrafts from the next to unknown N64 racing game AeroGauge.
wing hat (Wing Cap)
magic feather (Super Leaf)
raccoon clothes (Tanooki Suit)
These are all power-ups from Mario. Each one greatly boosts Mario’s abilities when doing a running jump.
collect all blue coins (A way to get Shine Sprites)
island of annoying voices (Isle Delfino)
hot tub end boss (Bowser)
All references to Super Mario Sunshine. Right down to the incredibly annoying Pianta voices.
mustached mushroom (Toadsworth)
I’m not 100% sure about this one, but it does fit in with the Super Mario Sunshine section. Toadsworth was introduced in Sunshine.
I honestly have no idea. If anyone does know, please hit me up.
UPDATE: An anonymous user suggests these could be Minecraft references and user Graywing suggests Megaman Battle Network.
UPDATE II: I’m pretty confident this is a reference to Megaman Battle Network after a post by user putaheartonyourpage.
"That one set does sound like it could be from battle network—the quake chips involve megaman throwing a bell-shaped weight, there’s a chargeable fire attack in bn2 (i think; i haven’t played it) and the fire-element cross in a later game lets you charge up any fire chip to use as a firebomb, there are multiple time bomb chips, and the stone punch could be the gutspunch series as they can move obstacles including the rockcube."
FINAL UPDATE (I think…):
Ok, so it now appears that this reference comes from the NES game Little Samson. The menu items describe each playable character’s unique ability. Little Samson throws bells, Kikira the Dragon uses charged fireballs, Gamm the Golem punches with rock fists, and K.O. the Mouse drops time bombs. Talk about an obscure reference! Thanks to GameFAQs user Guts Dozer!
Thanks for the input everyone!
blue fire (Beth)
green fire (Amy)
purple fire (Meg)
boring regular old fire (Joelle)
These are the colors of the Poe sisters’ flames in the Forest Temple of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
flying war ships (Super Mario Brothers 3)
clown face helicopter (Super Mario World/Paper Mario)
teeter totter flying floor (Super Mario 64)
unstable bath (Super Mario Sunshine)
The ways you encounter Bowser in Mario games.
impervious to lava (Juno can walk through fire and lava)
underwater exploration (Vela can stay underwater indefinitely)
hover puppy (Lupis the dog has a jet pack)
giant ant dance club (Insect Dance Club)
These describe the abilities of characters and a location from the N64 shooter Jet Force Gemini.
good karma quests
The first two could really describe several modern RPGs, but unkillable bears is a glitch found in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. As for antiphysics horses…
bubble attack (Bubble Lead)
leaf attack (Leaf Shield)
time freeze attack (Time Stopper)
metal blade attack (Metal Blade)
These are all special weapons in Megaman 2.
egg treatment (You must hatch the Pocket Cucco)
blue poultry (The blue Cucco Cojiro)
the chicken lady (The lady in Kakariko Village who breeds Cuccos)
forest fungus (The Odd Mushroom in the Lost Woods)
wild children (The pale guy that gives you the Odd Mushroom)
trippy potions (The potion brewed from the mushroom)
pharmacist (The potion shop owner)
sawing small trees (The Poacher’s Saw)
carpenter camps (The carpenter in Gerudo Valley)
broken swords (The broken Biggoron’s Sword)
giant rock monster (Biggoron himself)
frog prescriptions (The prescription for Biggoron’s eye drops needs an Eyeball Frog)
vision medication (The eye drops Biggoron needs to see)
brick vouchers (The claim check for the sword. It’s written in stone)
extra large swords (Biggoron’s Sword)
This is the trade sequence you need to go through to obtain Biggoron’s sword in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
1032 Notes/ Hide
- paperbacklover likes this
- julialiddell likes this
- calio likes this
- gamerbunny567 reblogged this from thejavaman
- suedekento reblogged this from drespacial and added:
- agilipollate reblogged this from drespacial and added:
- nanufar reblogged this from drespacial
- drespacial reblogged this from coufeis and added:
- coufeis reblogged this from thejavaman and added:
- avilething likes this
- frownster likes this
- 90shadesofbeige reblogged this from mytoilet-hasaseatbelt
- 90shadesofbeige likes this
- mytoilet-hasaseatbelt reblogged this from argentarachnids
- argentarachnids reblogged this from thejavaman
- pantaro reblogged this from legs-are-just-for-show
- pantaro likes this
- legs-are-just-for-show reblogged this from reichenbachtrip
- legs-are-just-for-show likes this
- urlcarpenter likes this
- floridaalicat likes this
- reichenbachtrip reblogged this from jamvert
- reichenbachtrip likes this
- gladdecease likes this
- jamvert reblogged this from thejavaman
- ryangeewhiz reblogged this from thejavaman
- all-aboard-the-ss-sexy likes this
- ghasteur likes this
- coquinecam likes this
- godsavethebeer likes this
- dekler reblogged this from thejavaman
- nondescriptcrappyblog reblogged this from thejavaman
- rubenbouman likes this
- red-red-kroovy likes this
- chubbymon likes this
- henshinbryn reblogged this from mobius0ne
- normandysdeck likes this
- gigis-dumb-blog likes this
- noterday reblogged this from thejavaman
- noterday likes this
- sadtalkinganimals likes this
- emmalycanthrope likes this
- highfunctioningsparkleaddict likes this
- moments-minutes-more reblogged this from thejavaman and added:
- seagreentea reblogged this from thejavaman
- quackercracker likes this
- troy-and-abed-trick-or-treating reblogged this from thejavaman
- bongwutsi likes this
- sterwood reblogged this from overthinkingvideogames and added: